Friday, May 6, 2011

May Day Celebration

Art Imitating Life Imitating Art


Where as I celebrated May Day with my family in a round about way last weekend - hard work of stacking firewood and then a pit fire with smoors late into the evening - there will also be a typical May Day at the Ithaca Waldorf School this Saturday.

I was there last year and here are some views.


We did a cute scavenger hunt for the children. I painted egg cartons different colors and sent them off into the wood to find an item that color. Coming out of a drab winter It was amazing the small little stems and rocks and leaves that had all the colors of the rainbow. I think it amazed them too. Weaving the May pole is such an earth awaking and invigorating community affair. I do beleive it lives well within the children and gives them a firm base to carry throughout thier lives. A steady rhythm, comfort, they can always count on. Ritual - its a welcoming feeling, but many of todays rituals are lost (so that we are Politically correct with every religion and belive) so I hope that you can find a way with your family and community to find a safe and happy May Day.

No comments: