Thursday, May 12, 2011

Cookies

Welsh Cookies, Grandmother on my Fathers side - her recipe.

They are a delightful biscuit/cookie that I grew up with. They were always round and came out of a clear plastic sleeve with a green twist tie, and were always made by church ladies. One of those elusive cookies that you never found in the grocery store, but had to wait for a fundraiser or fair. I have had my Grandmother's recipe since she died, but never made them in fear that they just wouldn't be good enough. Well, I dusted off the recipe, took out Frammy's rolling pin, and sighed a big sigh. Imagine that, it was easy. I needed to make them first with no shortcuts or substitutions - just for posterity mind you. Mixing by hand, currents (not raisins) and using an iron skillet were very important.

As you can see my skillet isnt as even-cooking as I would like. You want them to look like the pale side of these cookies. I had also used canola oil in the pan to fry them up. Cooked them all and they were deeeeelish! I then proceeded to cook up a batch that is a bit more "less butter and oil" which in fact makes it taste better. Here is the receipt for you.


Frammy's Welsh Cookies
4 Cups Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
.5 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
14 TBS of butter (could even go with 13?)
1 scant cup of dried currents
2 eggs
6 TBS Milk

Sift the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter. Add the currents. Beat the eggs and milk together and then add that to mix. Mixing well but don't blend the butter.
Roll out to 1/4" thick - cut with cookie cutter - place these on a plate and stick them in the refrigerator until you get the skillet ready (to harden up the butter again).
I'm sure the iron skillet works well for most but since I have an uneven pan I decided to use my electric rectangle nonstick pan set at 310 degrees and cooked each side about 4 minutes. Oh what heaven, it only 2 rounds of cooking with that big of a pan and it was much more even. You might have to play around with your settings. Slow cooking is the key and you don't want them to burn, they puff like pancakes when you flip them over. No oil on the frying pan needed.

Cheers to all the "church ladies" bakers - Enjoy!


No comments: